What We Believe
- We believe in the power of music to enrich and transform lives.
- We believe that a vibrant community needs an orchestra performing great music at the highest artistic level, with the most exciting and talented guest soloists in the world.
- We believe that children need the creative and academic benefits that music education provides: studies overwhelmingly show that children in music programs—especially at-risk children—are more likely to stay in school, do better in math, science, and reading, and are more likely to go to college.
- We believe that an organization driven by a passionate commitment to community engagement and artistic excellence can make a real difference in our community.
- The New Bedford Symphony Orchestra (NBSO) is a professional symphonic orchestra that performs with internationally renowned guest artists, annually presenting a 7-concert series of classical and pops music and a 4-concert chamber music series, as well as providing nationally recognized educational programs for the children of South Coast.
- The repertoire of the orchestra ranges from timeless masterworks to important and exciting works of the 20th and 21st centuries.
- The NBSO performs with guest soloists from around the world. Recent performers include pianists Yefim Bronfman, Roberto Plano, Marina Lomazov, and Anne-Marie McDermott, violinists Martin Chalifour and Rachel Barton Pine, Grammy award-winning guitarist Jason Vieux, and Broadway sensation Matthew Morrison.
- The NBSO educational programs reach over 25,000 children annually.
- Learning in Concert is a three-phase program that begins with an in-school assembly by a trio of NBSO performers and our Education Director, Terry Wolkowicz. The trio and Terry explore a shared theme between music and traditional academic curriculum. Terry follows up with individual classroom visits, while students work on creating artwork, videos, even musical compositions, that we incorporate into our Young People’s Concerts.
- The Young People’s Concerts celebrate the culmination of our year-long Learning in Concert program with students’ creative work and collaborations featured and performed by the full NBSO.
- The Southeastern Massachusetts Youth Orchestras program is made up of five ensembles for children of all ages: Poco Strings for beginners, Preparatory String Ensemble, Debut Orchestra for young players, Repertory Orchestra for intermediate players, and Symphony Orchestra for advanced students.
- Symphony Tales features a composition played by an NBSO musician in accompaniment to the reading of a children’s book. Children also participate in activities with the musician and reader that reinforce the literacy element of the program and introduce them to music-making and musical instruments.
- Music in the Morning is a classical music enrichment program presently in 57 schools and serving over 18,000 students every day of the school year. These children begin each day of the school year by listening to five minutes of classical music, along with an introductory narrative that describes the music and makes listening to it fun.
The NBSO believes that collaboration strengthens all the organizations involved and the community.
Acushnet Classic Ensemble | AHA! | Alma del Mar Charter School | Be the Solution to Pollution | Buttonwood Park Zoo | Buzzards Bay Coalition | Buzzards Bay Musicfest | Concerts at the Point | Destination New Bedford | Downtown New Bedford, Inc. | Kalliopi Monoyios, Scientific Illustrator | Lloyd Center for the Environment | Massachusetts Institute of Technology | Music from Land’s End Wareham | Nativity Preparatory School | New Bedford Art Museum | New Bedford Festival Theatre | New Bedford Public Library | New Bedford Whaling Museum | Our Sisters’ School | Plastic Pollution Coalition | University of Massachusetts Dartmouth | Up with School Arts | Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution | Youth Opportunities Unlimited | Zeiterion Performing Arts Center
Musical South Coast
The NBSO is pleased to keep our email subscribers informed about musical events presented by our Musical South Coast colleagues.
Arts in the Village | Buzzards Bay Musicfest | Concerts at the Point | Delight Consort | Fall River Symphony | Greater New Bedford Choral Society | Music at St. Anthony’s | Music from Land’s End Wareham | New Bedford Festival Theatre | New Bedford Folk Festival | St. Aidan’s Summer Concert | St. Andrew’s by-the-Sea | Seaglass Theater Company | Sine Nomine | Sippican Choral Society | South Coast Chamber Music Series | Southeastern Massachusetts Festival Chorus | Southeastern Massachusetts Youth Orchestras | Tri-County Symphonic Band | University of Massachusetts Dartmouth | Zeiterion Performing Arts Center