The New Bedford Symphony Orchestra will be holding an audition for the Assistant Principal Second Violin position at the New England Conservatory of Music, 290 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA, on Sunday, May 26, 2019, from 11am to 6pm. Runners up may be offered a seat in the second violin section.
In order to apply to audition, please send your current resume to Elisa Birdseye, Personnel Manager, at email@example.com
Required Audition Repertoire: Assistant Principal Second Violin
Please note that both First Violin and Second Violin excerpts are required, as noted below.
I. Concerto Note: to be performed without piano accompaniment First movement (including cadenza) from either:
Mozart Concerto for Violin No. 4 (D Major) OR Mozart Concerto for Violin No. 5 (A Major)
II. FIRST Violin Orchestral Excerpts
1. Brahms: Symphony No. 1 - 2nd mvt. (m.90 – m.128) 2. Mendelssohn: Midsummer Night’s Dream Scherzo–first page 3. Strauss: Don Juan – first page
III. SECOND Violin Orchestral Excerpts
1. Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra - Finale (m. 265 to downbeat of meas. 317) 2. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 – 2nd mvt. (beginning to downbeat of m. 77) 3. Mozart Symphony No. 41: 4th mvt. (beginning to downbeat of m. 157)
Candidates are responsible for obtaining their own parts.
The New Bedford Symphony is a per service orchestra which performs at the Zeiterion Performing Arts Center in New Bedford and at other locations on the South Coast.
The NBSO schedules auditions for sublist positions in the fall and spring as needed. All auditions are held at New England Conservatory, 290 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA.
Audition repertoire for the sublist audition consists of a solo concerto movement of your choice, excerpts from the list below, and possible sight-reading.
List of Excerpts for Sublist Auditions
(For the excerpt list for specific positions, please EMAIL ELISA BIRDSEYE.)
- Beethoven: Leonore #3 Overture, opening passage plus solo
- Mendelssohn: Scherzo from Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Prokofiev: Classical Symphony Minuet
- Stravinsky: Firebird
- Ravel: Le Tombeau de Couperin - 1st mvt. opening solo to rehearsal 2
- Beethoven: Symphony 3- 2nd mvt. first 2 solo entrances (beginning to A; mm.36- 47), 3rd mvt. mm.1-28 and pickup to 12 before A to 23 after A (mm. 80-115)
- Brahms: Symphony 1- 2nd mvt. mm. 17-23 and 1 note before B to 5 after B
- Rossini: La Scala di Seta- the Andantino: beginning to reh. 1 and the Allegro from reh. 2-3
- Rachmaninov: Symphony #2, 3rd mvt.- beginning to 1 measure before 47
- Brahms: Symphony #4, 2nd mvt.- beginning to measure 13
- Mendelssohn: Scherzo from Midsummer Night’s Dream- beginning to measure 48
- Ravel: Daphnis and Chloe Suite #2- 214 to the end
- Mozart: Marriage of Figaro (overture), bsn1
- Tchaikovsky: 4th Symphony, 2nd mvt. bsn1
- Brahms: violin concerto, 2nd mvt. bsn2
- Mozart: Haffner symphony, 4th mvt. bsn2
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 6, scherzo, first horn
- Brahms: Symphony No. 1, second mvt. solo, first horn
- Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel, opening solo, first horn
- Stravinsky: Petrushka: Ballerina’s Dance
- Mussorgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition: Promenade only
- Respighi Pines of Rome: offstage solo only
- Strauss: Till Eulenspiegels: trumpet 3, rehearsal #36 to end
- Mozart: Requiem: Tuba Mirum
- Strauss: Till Eulenspiegels: excerpts 2 before #2 through #4, #35-38
- Rossini: La Gazza Ladra
- Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphosis: mvt. 2 Letter H-J
- Wagner: Die Meistersinger, Act I Prelude (Overture) Letter J –L
- Prokofiev: Symphony No 5: Mvt I, #3-#6, and mvt. IV, #94-to 5 after #98
- Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphosis: mvt. 2 4 after L to2 after N
- Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique mvts. 4 & V (Tuba I)
- Don Juan page 1
- First page of Schumann 2 scherzo
- Intro to Brahms 1 and the concertmaster solo
- Page 1 of Don Juan
- Roman Carnival overture (key passage)
- Beethoven 5 2nd mvt.
- Shostakovich 5 (key passage mvt. 1)
- Beethoven 5 (2nd and 3rd mvt.)
- Don Juan 1st page
- La Mer (top line of quartet section - 1st mvt.) Mendelssohn MSND
- Scherzo Brahms 2 (or 3) slow mvt. Mozart 35 1st and/or 4th mvt.
- Beethoven 8 trio
- Beethoven 9 Symphony recitative
- Beethoven 5 2nd mvt., 3rd mvt. – Scherzo; measure 44 to 5 measures after A
- Beethoven 5 3rd mvt. – Trio; beginning for 37 measures – no repeat
- Prokofiev: Lieutenant Kije Solo
- Mozart: Symphony No. 39, K. 543, E-flat major (mvts. 1 and 4)
FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT NBSO AUDITIONS, EMAIL NBSO PERSONNEL MANAGER ELISA BIRDSEYE.