September 15 Auditions
The New Bedford Symphony will be holding sublist auditions on Monday, September 15, 2014, from 10am to 3pm. Audition material consists of a solo concerto movement of your choice, possible sight reading, and excerpts. The excerpts required are listed at right.
If you are interested in scheduling a time, please contact Elisa Birdseye, Personnel Manager at email@example.com and send your current resume.
The New Bedford Symphony is a per service orchestra which performs at the Zeiterion Theatre in New Bedford and other locations on the South Coast.
The NBSO schedules auditions for sublist positions in the fall and spring as needed.
Audition repertoire for the sublist audition consists of a solo concerto movement of your choice, excerpts from the list below, and possible sight-reading.
For questions about NBSO auditions,
please email Elisa Birdseye, Personnel Manager.
- Beethoven: Leonore #3 Overture, opening passage plus solo
- Mendelssohn: Scherzo from Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Prokofiev: Classical Symphony Minuet
- Stravinsky: Firebird
- Ravel: Le Tombeau de Couperin - 1st mvt. opening solo to rehearsal 2
- Beethoven: Symphony 3 - 2nd mvt. first 2 solo entrances (beginning to A; mm.36- 47), 3rd mvt. mm.1-28 and pickup to 12 before A to 23 after A (mm. 80-115)
- Brahms: Symphony 1 - 2nd mvt. mm. 17-23 and 1 note before B to 5 after B
- Rossini: La Scala di Seta - the Andantino: beginning to reh. 1 and the Allegro from reh. 2-3
- Rachmaninov: Symphony #2, 3rd mvt.- beginning to 1 measure before 47
- Brahms: Symphony #4, 2nd mvt. - beginning to measure 13
- Mendelssohn: Scherzo from Midsummer Night's Dream- beginning to measure 48
- Ravel: Daphnis and Chloe Suite #2- 214 to the end
- Mozart: Marriage of Figaro (overture), bsn1
- Tchaikovsky: 4th Symphony, 2nd mov. bsn1
- Brahms: violin concerto, 2nd mov. bsn2
- Mozart: Haffner symphony, 4rth mov. bsn2
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 6, scherzo, first horn
- Brahms: Symphony No. 1, second movement solo, first horn
- Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel, opening solo, first horn
- Stravinsky: Petrushka: Ballerina’s Dance
- Mussorgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition: Promenade only
- Respighi Pines of Rome: offstage solo only
- Strauss: Till Eulenspiegels: trumpet 3, rehearsal #36 to end
- Mozart: Requiem: Tuba Mirum
- Strauss: Till Eulenspiegels: excerpts 2 before #2 through #4, #35-38
- Rossini: La Gazza Ladra
- Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphosis: Mvt 2 Letter H-J
- Wagner: Die Meistersinger, Act I Prelude (Overture) Letter J –L
- Prokofiev: Symphony No 5: Mvt I, #3-#6, and Mvt IV, #94-to 5 after #98
- Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphosis: Mvt 2 4 after L to2 after N
- Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique Mvts 4 & V (Tuba I)
- Don Juan page 1
- first page of Schumann 2 scherzo.
- intro to Brahms 1 and the concertmaster solo
- Page 1 of Don Juan
- Roman Carnival overture (key passage)
- Beethoven 5 2nd movement
- Shostakovich 5 (key passage mvt. 1)
- Beethoven 5 (2nd and 3rd mvnt)
- Don Juan 1st page
- La Mer (top line of quartet section - 1st mvmt) Mendelssohn MSND
- Scherzo Brahms 2 (or 3) slow mvmt Mozart 35 1st and/or 4th mvmt
- Beethoven 8 trio
- Beethoven 9 Symphony recitative
- Beethoven 5 2nd movement, 3rd Mvt. – Scherzo; measure 44 to 5 measures after A
- Beethoven 5 3rd Mvt. – Trio; beginning for 37 measures – no repeat
- Prokofiev: Lieutenant Kije Solo
- Mozart: Symphony No. 39, K. 543, E-flat major (Mvts. 1 and 4)